I remember this fish curry was one of my very first “difficult” recipes. It has an amazing undertone of the Fenugreek and the curry is easy to make; takes less than 30 minutes.
- 1kg Mackerel steaks with bone (you can substitute any other fish, but make sure that steaks have bone in them)
- 1/2cup gram flour/besan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp oil
- In a bowl mix gram flour, water and salt and make a paste.
- Marinade the fish in this mixture for half an hour. This will help reduce the smell.
- Wash the fish to remove the paste and then place in a strainer to drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium to high heat. Fry the fish steaks for three minutes on each side. Do not overcook the fish.
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp dried Fenugreeek leaves
- 1/2 cup yogurt, whisked
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup oil
- Place the onion, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend using no water. keep aside
- Heat oil in an an open faced pan and throw in the Fenugreek seeds. As soon as you smell the fragrance from the seeds add in the onion mixture.
- Turn the heat medium to low and cook the mixture for about 15 minutes till it stops smelling like raw onions.
- Dissolve turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder in water and pour this into the pan. Cook it for a minute.
- Now mix in the yogurt and cook for two minutes or until the oil starts to bubble on the sides.
- Add 1 cup of water and let this come to a boil
- Sprinkle the dried Fenugreek leaves and place the fried fish on top, dont mix yet.
- Cover and let cook on low to medium heat for 6 minutes.
- Turn the stove off as soon as the oil starts to separate on the sides.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and serve hot.
- Make slightly larger sized fish steaks. If small, they might break while cooking.
- You can freeze the gravy and the fish after frying both and whenever in need of something quick, thaw, place in a pan and cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or till ready.
Try this delicious and super simple recipe, serve with rice or naan bread or anything else you prefer. I’m sure this will become your favorite go-to fish curry recipe.
Aa jao Machli lovers “Fish Curry” tayyar hai!!