This recipe is my family’s favourite and a crowd pleaser. Its super easy to make and packs a world of flavour. Its perfect for nights when you want to have something fancy with minimum effort.
Serves: 4 Difficulty: Easy Course: Main
- 500 gm Boneless Chicken Fillets
- 1tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Mustard Paste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Chopped Onion
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Chicken Powder
- Salt to taste
- a pinch of Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 1 tsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the breast fillets slowly in half horizontally, starting with the thick side.
- Marinate the fillets with all of the marinade ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, put oil in a saucepan and sauté onions until translucent. Then add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Now add chilli paste, chicken powder, lemon, salt and oregano. Mix a little and add both milk and cream. Cook until it thickens. Turn off heat and add chopped parsley.
- Lightly oil and heat a grill pan. On medium heat, cook chicken undisturbed and uncovered for 5 minutes. Flip it and cook for further 5 minutes or until chicken is done and golden from both sides.
The steaks and sauce go very well with a side of stir fried or steamed vegetables, buttered white rice, potato mash and garlic bread. You can also serve it with french fries.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through and not left pink from the inside. Don’t overcook it as it will go tough and chewy. It should stay nice and tender. If you have a meat thermometer it should read 75C when done. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- The chicken also cooks very well in an air fryer if you want to use that.
- The Moroccan Sauce can be made ahead of time. It stays fine overnight in the fridge covered with cling wrap.
- The chicken can be marinated and refrigerated overnight.
- The sides like potato mash, steamed vegetable, rice, garlic bread etc can all be made ahead of time if you want. Just warm it all up and serve either in individual serves or in a buffet style.
- If you don’t have Samabal Oelek chilli paste then you can always use Chilli Garlic sauce as a substitute. It will be a little less spicy but you can adjust the spice level with chilli flakes.