Whats not to love about these delicious winter favourite slices. They’re easy to make, are a great snack, breakfast or lunchbox item. The wholemeal pastry adds a wonderful chewy texture with pleasing honey and salted caramel notes.
- 130 gm butter, chopped
- 150 gm honey
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 220 gm flaked almonds
- 80 gm melted milk chocolate, for drizzling
- 250 gm wholemeal flour
- 70 gm brown sugar
- 130 gm chilled butter, diced
- 3 egg yolks
- For wholemeal pastry, in a food processor pulse together flour, sugar and ½ tsp salt to combine. Then add butter and pulse to make fine bread crumbs texture. Add egg yolks, pulse until dough just comes together, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface and line pastry in base and partway up sides of prepared tin. Refrigerate to rest for 30 minutes.
- Blind-bake until golden on the edges about 8-10 minutes, then remove weights, and bake until crisp and golden brown on the edges for 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir butter, honey, sugar, sour cream and vanilla in a saucepan over medium-high heat until smooth. Stir in almonds and 1tsp salt and bring to boil. Pour onto pastry base, spread almonds evenly and bake until dark golden and caramelised about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool completely in tin. Drizzle with milk chocolate, refrigerate until set.
- Cut into bars with a hot knife and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
Follow me on Instagram @thiscakeisdesi for a step-by-step guide to make this. (saved in story highlights)
Aa jao logon with your cup of chai, Almond Slices tayyar hain!!